What to Expect
- Weeks 1-6: Rehearsals begin in the form of group lessons. The music teacher and special education teacher will facilitate, moving about the room, offering help where needed.
- Peer Mentors, under the guidance of the teacher, will help the New Musicians with first notes, sound production, and basic music reading.
- Week 6: Peer Mentors (with the help of the music teacher) create modified parts for each New Musician based on aptitude (It may be as simple as a 1-2 note melody, or even notes based on colors.)
- Weeks 7-9: Continuing in group lesson format, students begin to learn the modified part that has been created. Changes/adaptations made where necessary.
- Weeks 10-14: Ensemble rehearsals begin, with and without full ensemble recording. Learning to play in a group, all together, is at the core of the experience.
- Week 15: Full Ensemble rehearsal (including New Musicians, Peer Mentors, and the rest of the members of the high school ensemble). Peer Mentors will continue to play the modified part with the New Musicians.
- Week 16: Perform! (Plan, publicize, and perform together.)